Monday, October 02, 2006

A good politician?

I have been searching for a speech from my favorite politician, Delegate Brian McHale, but I still haven't found one online. I do, however, have him on tape talking briefly. (I wouldn't rely on my own memory, since a few weeks of cognitive psych have convinced me that memory isn't necessarily truth!)

I know some eyes are going to roll because it was a Catholic situation in which this happened. Basically, the pastor at Holy Cross and St Mary's in Federal Hill got kicked out of being the pastor (and no, he wasn't a child molestor...he hired a gay man to play piano...that's the real reason he got kicked out...and no, that's not the official reason given by the Archdiocese of Baltimore...this happened in 2002 and I'm still pissed).

Anyway, Fr Tom Malia got kicked out, and the parishioners decided to protest...at a speech by a few priests from the Archdiocese (we drowned them out by stomping our feet...ok, it was childish), by letters and email, and by holding signs outside of the Archdiocese's office. What does this have to do with Brian McHale? He came along. He's a parshioner at Good Counsel in Locust Point, so he didn't really have any personal reason to show up for this.

I've refused to hear a bad word about the man since. He spoke at this protest, but I think his presence said more than his words. Having talked to him more times than I can count now, I can't see him as anything less than sincere and honest (which I know is naive to say about a politician, but I guess I'm just biased).

All others politicians bore me (in Bush's case, to tears), so this is all I can come out with.