Monday, October 16, 2006

Music, right?



Ok, this was from the National Day of Prayer 2006. I don't have to explain why that's political, right?

I somehow don't think the situation in Iraq fits the honor God message, but don't pay any attention to me. My brain actually works, unlike the president's.



I still think we should have had to sing this in class...but then, I do bad karaoke. I don't remember anyone not wanting to sing this after 9/11, but I may just have been too numb to notice.



This song has always struck me as political. It may be the use of the word freedom. It's also rather idealistic and unrealistic.

"Don't worry, it'll be alright...say your prayers and sleep tight."

If the song is applied to current events, it sounds like blind trust, which is what way too many people had in Bush. I know my dislike of him comes out a lot, but I don't think I could hold it back if I tried. (I am not, however, saying the song has anything to do with him. I'm not even sure when it was recorded. Before 9/11, I think.)

"Lend your voices only to sounds of freedom. No longer lend your strength to that which you wish to be free from. Fill your lives with love and bravery, and you shall lead a live uncommon."

I wish it was that simple. The soldiers dying in Iraq may be brave, but they are dying for no reason. I wish this country would stop lending it's strength to that which it wishes to be free from. A war against terrorism? Bull. There is no such thing. Fighting for peace? Ridiculous. What does this country really want?

It's funny how songs come to have new meaning in one's mind.