Friday, October 31, 2008

This is STILL America, Kid!

http://www.wbaltv.com/video/17854209/

An electrical engineer in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, frustrated with having McCain-Palin campaign signs stolen from his own property, rigged a low-voltage electric pet fence to his signs. Caught on video is a 9-year-old sneaking up with an Obama sign, obviously to replace the homeowner's McCain sign, only to get a "jolting" (if mildly so) surprise!

The kid's mom says he "knows better" but she thought the zap was a bit extreme.

What's really extreme is that a homeowner needs to resort to such measures. This IS STILL AMERICA where the First Amendment applies to everyone -- even those with whom we disagree!

A homeowner at the end of my street has a HUGE McCain-Palin sign in his front yard -- about 4'x8' -- and while I admit to an occasional fantasy of spraypainting it or ripping it down under cover of night, I'm telling you I would be the first one to call the cops if I witnessed anyone actually attempting to damage or remove it.

I have a friend I've known since sixth grade and even back then she used to say, "I may not agree with what you say, but I'd defend with my life your right to say it." I should send her over to have a talk with the kid from the video.