Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Voting in the Primaries

Ok. So for those of you who saw me disappear from class early yesterday, and witnessed Betsy's hails of good wishes, you would know that I went to go vote yesterday. Let's recount the events that occured and the failures of our voting system, shall we?

So after trekking to my car, I had to speed uptown to my neighborhood. Because you are not allowed to vote just anywhere, but at the specific location designated to your neighborhood depending upon district. I suppose this is to prevent overloading the polls with voters (ha!), but it's actualyl quite inconvenient to be tied down to one location.

Upon arrival, I learn that I am not, accoridng to the state of Maryland, affiliated with a party. I tell the lady, well actually I DO have a party affiliation (not that it's really public knowledge, but just to solve any lingering curiosity, I'm Republican- try not to shriek, I'm a pretty liberal Republican, which is a contradiction really, and there are so very of us in the city of Baltimore). It's a rather involved process to become affiliated with a party- takes about half an hour, which I thought I would sacrifice. However, then I learn that should I become affiliated with a party, I would not be able to vote for any Democratic candidates. What's the problem here? Well. I am a staunch supporter of Mayor O'Malley and I was intent upon voting for him.

Apparently, there is no place for people like me in the primaries. They exist to weed out the competing candidates in the separate parties. I wish I had known that ahead of time, before I booked it out of UB only to turn right around and book it back downtown for my 5:30 PM class. And they wonder why people are discouraged from voting in our modern society? It's annoying that I am unable to support the candidates I'd like to, and they might possibly be cut out from the election. Oh well. Lesson learned. I'll do the only thing I can do, which is to wish my mayor good luck!